Black Bean Soup

I'm a devotee of all things recommended by the folks at Real Simple. I keep waiting for them to knock on my door and give my life a makeover. But until then, I'll just make this easy peasy soup. My kids mix in an absurd amount of sour cream so I buy the fat-free stuff. I've also used jarred salsa (not fresh as recommended) and it turns out just fine.

Black Bean Soup

1 teaspoon olive oil
2 cups fresh salsa
2 15-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 16-ounce can refried black beans (I've omitted this when I don't have it)
1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped (optional)
dry sherry (optional)

Heat the oil in a saucepan or large pot over medium heat. Add the salsa and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes. Add the refried beans, black beans, and broth and bring to a simmer. Cook until warmed through, about 5 minutes. For a smooth soup, use immersion blender to carefully puree mixture. Ladle into bowls. Top with some of the remaining salsa and the sour cream and cilantro (if using). The grown ups like to add a touch of dry sherry to the soup to finish it. Enjoy!

Comments