A Saucy Friday Night!

Across this great nation, Friday night spells pizza night. Legions of tired worker bees find it easy to order in their favorite pie, grab some beer and pop in a DVD or relax with friends. We are no exception but I've sworn off The Hut and bid farewell to Papa J. I'm making my own. I've resurrected an old recipe that I have almost committed to memory. As for the crust, I don't often make my own because there are so many places to pick up restaurant-quality dough. Local pizza places are a good source but I have luck at Trader Joe's and fresh dough made by my local Heinen's. Control your own destiny with the toppings. A hot oven is key so once you assemble your pizza (on a stone or cookie sheet) bake it fairly high and keep an eye on it. Thanks baby brother for this elementary school gem!

Doug's Pizza Sauce

1/2 chopped medium onion or one small onion
1 Tbls. olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
3 Tbls. water

In small saucepan saute onion in olive oil over med-high heat then add garlic and saute just a minute or so until you smell the garlic. Lower the heat and add all other ingredients and simmer for about 15 minutes. Makes enough for one pizza so we double this recipe if making two pizzas.

Comments