Perfect Lemon Cake

I'm a bonifide chocoholic. Why waste calories if it's not chocolate? However, once in a blue moon I'll surprise myself and decide on a non-chocolate dessert for a gathering. I'm cooking an early Mother's Day dinner for my mother-in-law and my husband's grandmother today. This cake is a snap to whip up and just divine. It's moist and travels well. I'll be serving it with fresh strawberries.

Perfect Lemon Cake with Fresh Lemon Glaze

Cake:
1 package yellow cake mix
1 package lemon-flavored instant pudding
4 large eggs
3/4 cup. canola oil
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sweet sherry or orange juice
1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg (I always buy whole nutmeg and use my microplane)

Lemon Glaze:
1 cup powered sugar
1 - 2 Tbls. fresh lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat bundt pan with cooking spray. In large mixing bowl add all cake ingredients and mix with electric mixer until smooth and thick. Pour batter in bundt pan and bake for roughly 45 minutes or until a tester comes out clean and cake pulls away from the pan slightly. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto serving plate.

While cake is cooling, whisk together sugar and lemon juice to create a smooth glaze, adding more lemon juice if needed. While cake is still slightly warm, drizzle glaze over the cake. Then go get those forks!

Comments