Birthday Swiss Steak?

It is only fitting that I post this recipe on my birthday. It's the meal I've requested on many of my birthdays. I know...it's a weird meal to crave but it's comforting and homey and I just love it on a crisp fall day. I love it even more when it can be made ahead in a crockpot. Now that I'm officially old - I can bust out my crockpot with pride!

Swiss Steak with Baby Onions

3 (1.1 oz.) pkgs. Hunter's sauce (or dry onion soup mix if you cannot find Hunter's sauce)
1 (11.5 oz.) can of V8 vegetable juice
1 Tbs. tomato paste
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1 (16 oz.) pkg. frozen baby onions - do not defrost
1 celery rib, thinly sliced
1/2 lb. fresh white mushrooms - sliced
3 lbs. beef round steak - sliced thin (sometimes called flip steaks)

In a medium bowl, mix together dry sauce, juice, tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce until blended. Set aside. In a 3 - 4-quart slow cooker, place 1/3 each of the onions, celery and mushrooms. Top with half the meat and a third of the sauce the repeat layers - topping with sauce.

Cover and cook on low at least 9 to 10 hours or until meat is tender. Serve over mashed potatoes and wish someone you love happy birthday!!

Comments