Texas Black Eye Pea Salad/Dip

Happy New Year! Like many of you, I'm not sad to see 2009 go and hope 2010 will be filled with better things for all. Let this little salad/dip be one of the better things. Very similar to my black bean salad, this is an keeper and was a great dish to serve on New Year's Day to usher in a new year filled with good health and prosperity. Well, at least I'd like to believe this quick salad did the trick! In any case, it got rave reviews at a recent party so I'll opt to keep this one in my repertoire. I tend to serve this with tortilla chips but it would be a great side as well.

Texas Black Eye Pea Salad/Dip

2 cans (drained and rinsed) black eye peas
8 green onions, finely chopped
1 yellow pepper, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1/4 c. chopped cilantro
1/2 - 2/3 of a bottle of spicy Italian dressing (your favorite variety)
juice of one lime

Combine all ingredients, except lime juice, in a bowl and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight. When ready to serve, I dumped the mixture into a fine colander to help drain excess dressing (there's a lot!) and then added lime juice. Serve with tortilla chips like "Scoops" to gather all the goodness!

Comments