Pasta n' Lentils

So I'm hoping to raise kids that love lentils. Honestly, if they loved making their beds, homework and their mother forever - then I'd be okay if they skipped the lentils but a mom can dream...I've been challenging myself to create more meatless meals and just may adopt the meatless Monday dinner routine. I think the addition of some browned Italian sausage would give this dish great depth but it was a surprising hit without it.

Pasta n' Lentils

1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 - 2 (19 ounce) cans lentil soup - depending on how much sauce you want
1 cup crushed tomatoes (can also use diced tomatoes - do not drain)
1/2 pkg. (5 oz.) package frozen chopped spinach or package of fresh baby spinach
1 (16 ounce) package ditalini pasta or small pasta (I use whole wheat)
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
1 pinch crushed red pepper
Grated Parmesan cheese to taste

Saute onion and garlic in oil over medium heat. Stir in lentil soup and tomatoes. Bring to boil. Stir in spinach and spices. Simmer.

Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until almost done. Drain. Mix pasta into lentil sauce. Cover, and keep warm a few minutes allowing sauce to mingle with the pasta. Serve with Parmesan cheese.

Comments

jbeeman said…
Failed to mention that I use Progresso Lentil Soup which I always have on hand!