Simple Tomato Sauce


I have come to love the Steamy Kitchen Blog for all things Asian. I don't cook Asian food well but dream of a day where I can whip up an effortless moo shu pork. Until that day, I'll keep reading but I was stunned to find this classic Italian sauce on my beloved Asian blog. This recipe seemed too good to be true but it hailed from a iconic Italian chef - Marcella Hazan so I had to try it. I served it with some egg fettuccine from Ohio City Pasta and it was simple but heavenly. Close your eyes when eating this and envision yourself at a little trattoria in Italy. P.S. Even this pic is off the Steamy Kitchen Blog given that my sauce disappeared before I could take a close up!



1 whole onion - preferably Vidalia, cut in half
1 28-ounce can of whole, peeled tomatoes (from San Marzano if you can find them)
5 tablespoons of butter
pasta of your choice (I used fresh pasta for a bit of a chewy texture)

Place the butter, onion and tomatoes into a medium saucepan. Onion can be left in halves or quarters so they are submerged in liquid from tomatoes. Simmer uncovered for 45 minutes. Remove onion and discard. Stir to break up any last bits of whole tomato. I then added pinch of salt and just a pinch of sugar which will take away any acidic bite from the canned tomatoes. That's it. Crazy but it was simple and delicious. Serve over fresh pasta with from freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

Comments