Quinoa Fried "Rice"

Sometimes you just come across an idea that seems so logical you cannot help but wonder why you didn't think of it yourself.  This was a "duh" recipe for me.  I've had a lonely box of quinoa in my pantry forever and I finally found a great way to use it.  I just cooked mine in my rice cooker like I would rice.  You can really use whatever favorite fried rice recipe your family prefers.  This is just a variation of what I had handy.  Because quinoa is a natural source of protein, there's really no need to add meat.  A simple vegetarian meal that's familiar and welcomed in our house. 





4 cups cooked quinoa
8 scallions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 red peppers, diced small
1 cup snow peas or green peas
1 can water chestnuts, drained
4 - 6 tsp low sodium soy sauce or to taste
1 tsp. sesame oil or toasted sesame seeds to taste
2 tsp vegetable oil
2 whole egg, scrambled
Can also add: broccoli, baby corn, bamboo shoots, corn, onions, whatever floats your boat.

In a nonstick wok or large frying pan, add 1 tsp. veg. oil and add the eggs and cook a minute or two until done. Set aside.

Add the remaining oil to the pan and add the scallions, peppers, peas, water chestnuts and garlic. Saute about a minute, and stir in all the quinoa. Add soy sauce and sesame oil and stir to mix all the ingredients. Keep stirring a few minutes, then add cooked scrambled egg. Adjust soy sauce if needed to taste and mix well another 30 seconds.

Recipe (and pic) adapted from Gina's Recipes

Comments