Sunday, January 15, 2012

Quinoa Fried "Rice"

Sometimes you just come across an idea that seems so logical you cannot help but wonder why you didn't think of it yourself.  This was a "duh" recipe for me.  I've had a lonely box of quinoa in my pantry forever and I finally found a great way to use it.  I just cooked mine in my rice cooker like I would rice.  You can really use whatever favorite fried rice recipe your family prefers.  This is just a variation of what I had handy.  Because quinoa is a natural source of protein, there's really no need to add meat.  A simple vegetarian meal that's familiar and welcomed in our house. 





4 cups cooked quinoa
8 scallions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 red peppers, diced small
1 cup snow peas or green peas
1 can water chestnuts, drained
4 - 6 tsp low sodium soy sauce or to taste
1 tsp. sesame oil or toasted sesame seeds to taste
2 tsp vegetable oil
2 whole egg, scrambled
Can also add: broccoli, baby corn, bamboo shoots, corn, onions, whatever floats your boat.

In a nonstick wok or large frying pan, add 1 tsp. veg. oil and add the eggs and cook a minute or two until done. Set aside.

Add the remaining oil to the pan and add the scallions, peppers, peas, water chestnuts and garlic. Saute about a minute, and stir in all the quinoa. Add soy sauce and sesame oil and stir to mix all the ingredients. Keep stirring a few minutes, then add cooked scrambled egg. Adjust soy sauce if needed to taste and mix well another 30 seconds.

Recipe (and pic) adapted from Gina's Recipes

No comments: